The Club Collect
The first printing of the Collect was in an obscure paragraph in the column called "Club Notes" in the Delineator, a woman's magazine no longer published, but at the time nationally popular. Later, copies were struck off by a local printer for the members of Longmont Fortnightly Club of Colorado; a federated club. About 1909, Paul Elder and Company of San Francisco printed it as a wall card. In 1924, wall cards were put out by Armstrong Stationary Company of Cincinnati. All earlier copies were signed by Mary Stuart, a spelling used until 1920 as a pen name. Since then the spelling Stewart has been used both for a pen name and signature, and the Collect has been so signed.
The first women's organization to hear or use the Collect or to print it in its yearbooks and biennial reports was the General Federation of Women's Clubs. Since then, it has been reported in many forms in many lands.
- to use our united strength to make better homes, better schools, better
surroundings, better scholarships, and better lives.
- to work together for civil health and civic righteousness;
- to preserve our heritage – the forest and the natural beauties of the land;
- to procure for our children an education, which fits them for life – the training of
the hand and the heart as well as the head;
- to protect the children. . . who are deprived of the birthright of natural
- to obtain right conditions and proper safeguards for the women who toil.